ilien: rainbow (Default)
[personal profile] ilien

In your own space, share a favorite piece of original canon (a TV episode, a song, a favorite interview, a book, a scene from a movie, etc) and explain why you love it so much. Leave a comment in this post saying you did it. Include a link to your post if you feel comfortable doing so.


This is a very hard challenge. I mean, how do I pick a single part of my numerous canons? How do I explain why I love it so much (probably avoiding words like 'squeee' and 'justlookathowcutetheyare')? Is that even possible?

One of my favourite pieces of canon — a book I return to quite often, as it's one of my favourite "feel good" stories — is A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold. I adore each and every book of the Vorkosigan saga (Barrayar and Komarr share a second place among my most favourite Bujold books), but A Civil Campaign is the one I get back to very often.

It has everything I love in my comfort reading: a bit of adventure, some romance, a lot of family, main characters being silly and awesome, side characters being equally awesome, some hilarity, and a happy ending. There's also a lot of politics, and this might be the only place where I actually enjoy the politics.

I love Miles in this book: so confident and competent one moment, and completely lost the very next one. I love Ekaterin here, taking her life in her own hands, after a decade of an abusive marriage, and I love how she deals with the whole mess, never losing her dignity. I love Dono and By, Olivia and Karen, Gregor and Nikki — especially Gregor with Nikki. I love Cordelia through all of it, both when she's physically present and when she's not a part of a particular scene, but still there, being such a huge influence on her children's (and, through them, the Empire's) life.

It's a really amazing book.

Date: 2016-01-07 04:42 pm (UTC)
scripsi: (Default)
From: [personal profile] scripsi
THIS! I feel exactly the same about ACC. It has Everything and I love it to bits. I Think I have read it at least once a year since it was published. :)

Date: 2016-01-08 05:15 pm (UTC)
scripsi: (Default)
From: [personal profile] scripsi
Oh no, I am sure it's because you have an excellent taste! :D

Date: 2016-01-09 11:58 pm (UTC)
hamsterwoman: (Default)
From: [personal profile] hamsterwoman
Here from the Snowflake post, and, hee! I ended up picking a bit of ACC for (one of) my answers for this challenge also.

It's my favorite Vorkosigan book, too (not sure what my second favorite would be. Memory is SO GOOD, but also OUCH, and Mirror Dance, ditto...), and I love Dono and Gregor with Nikki especially, too.

Date: 2016-01-10 04:49 pm (UTC)
hamsterwoman: (Default)
From: [personal profile] hamsterwoman
and could really use a good bathtub of ice. :D

Heh, indeed! As I get closer to 40 myself, I find Memory and post-Memory books downright encouraging :)

Date: 2016-01-15 11:00 am (UTC)
akamine_chan: Created by me; please don't take (Default)
From: [personal profile] akamine_chan
ACC is my favorite Vor book as well, there's just the perfect combination of political maneuvering, complex (and seekrit) courtships and Miles-related ridiculousness.

The scene at the grand dinner when the kittens run across the table with the butterbugs...*giggle*

I think for second favorite, I would go with Cetaganda - loved the peek into that complex culture.

Date: 2016-02-04 05:48 am (UTC)
akamine_chan: Created by me; please don't take (Default)
From: [personal profile] akamine_chan
Well, I'm pretty easily squicked by second-hand embarrassment myself, and it's usually Ivan that triggers it for me (so much fail!) but I think with Cetaganda I was just so fascinated that I managed to avoid the squick.

The Quaddie culture was fascinating as well, and one I'd like to know more about. I was so pleased when we revisited Quaddiespace and Nicol in Diplomatic Immunity.

Jackson's Hole has some interesting bits. Athos left a really bad taste in my mouth. I would totally live on Beta, though.

Profile

ilien: rainbow (Default)
ilien

February 2020

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
91011 12131415
16171819202122
23242526272829

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 11:58 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios