In your own space, make a list of at least 3 things that you like about yourself. Leave a comment in this post saying you did it. Include a link to your post if you feel comfortable doing so.
I did a thing like that about a year ago - five things, even. Those five haven't changed much, I still love those things about myself. For this day, I'd like to mention three good things about myself that happened last year.
1. I started learning Swedish. I wanted to learn it since I was about twelve, but kept telling myself "someday". This summer I realized that "someday" isn't going to come unless I do something about it. I'm not really doing much - just listening to some online podcasts and doing some random grammar exercises (any recs, by the way?) - but it's better than just waiting for the someday to come. I'm also learning French (much more actively than Swedish, because it's easier to find an affordable tutor of French here), and that makes me feel awesome: one day I'll probably speak four languages!
2. I turned to be rather good at putting both of my degrees to use. Using both of them at the same time is what makes me pretty much unique at the (otherwise, trivial) thing I do, and I'm kind of proud of that.
3. I realized that a lot of people come to me for emotional support. I think that means that I'm generally good at it - and that makes me happy. Although recently I had to distance myself from some people's problems (not from the people, though, hopefully), I've always felt very honoured by their trust, and I'm happy to know that, when I have the energy, I can help people feel better.
I did a thing like that about a year ago - five things, even. Those five haven't changed much, I still love those things about myself. For this day, I'd like to mention three good things about myself that happened last year.
1. I started learning Swedish. I wanted to learn it since I was about twelve, but kept telling myself "someday". This summer I realized that "someday" isn't going to come unless I do something about it. I'm not really doing much - just listening to some online podcasts and doing some random grammar exercises (any recs, by the way?) - but it's better than just waiting for the someday to come. I'm also learning French (much more actively than Swedish, because it's easier to find an affordable tutor of French here), and that makes me feel awesome: one day I'll probably speak four languages!
2. I turned to be rather good at putting both of my degrees to use. Using both of them at the same time is what makes me pretty much unique at the (otherwise, trivial) thing I do, and I'm kind of proud of that.
3. I realized that a lot of people come to me for emotional support. I think that means that I'm generally good at it - and that makes me happy. Although recently I had to distance myself from some people's problems (not from the people, though, hopefully), I've always felt very honoured by their trust, and I'm happy to know that, when I have the energy, I can help people feel better.
no subject
Date: 2016-01-12 12:54 am (UTC)It's really lovely to be the person that people go to for emotional support. That's not something to be taken lightly. ♥
no subject
Date: 2016-02-03 12:15 pm (UTC)Yeah, languages getting mixed up is a problem. For me, French gets a little mixed up with English (which is my second language), and Swedish got so mixed up with my Scottish Gaelic (which I half-heartedly learned for about a year and never used) that it completely and utterly destroyed it in my head - which is probably better than saying "Jag heter Ilien, ciamar a tha sibh?" In my experience, the only thing that helpes is using all the languages all the time, which can, of course, be a problem.
no subject
Date: 2016-01-12 03:59 am (UTC)It's wonderful that people feel they can trust you and come to you for emotional support. Not everyone has that gift.
Good luck with the languages you are learning. I'm not sure which podcasts you are listening to. Are you working with any programs like Berlitz or the Foreign Language Institute? Those are two that have language-learning programs for pretty much every language in the world, so you may have luck finding something there for learning Swedish if you're not already working with those.
no subject
Date: 2016-02-03 12:18 pm (UTC)I've mostly been listening to swedishpod101.com and poking Duolingo. Now that I've got almost two days of free time (for the first time in weeks, as you can see from the late reply!), I'll definitely check out Berlitz and the Foreign Language Institute. Thank you for the recs!