ilien: rainbow (Default)
[personal profile] ilien
In your own space, share your love for something fannish: a trope, cliché, kink, motif, theme, format, or fandom.

Every fandom has this character who Did Not Deserve It (I'm pretty sure that's not my statement; I heard it somewhere. Doesn't make it less true.) Some fandoms have more than one character like that, and some have this Thing That Needs To Unhappen. I mean, the only fandom I've ever came across that never had such a thing was Leverage, and that might be just because I didn't notice something.

Which is why one of my most favourite trope is fix-it. Fix-its are what drew me to a lot of fandoms: I needed stories where Ianto didn't die, and neither did Marcus and Richie, where Charles and Erik didn't break up and Blair got his PhD. I mean, I can see why the authors needed that particular plot point. Most of the time they entirely make sense. But that doesn't mean I don't want them gone.

Of all fix-its, I especially love those that actually fix the stuff, instead of creating an AU in which The Thing never had a chance to occur: Ianto did die the way we saw it, but later regenerated, and it took him so long because Reasons. Marcus... well, the authors actually fixed Marcus (and also Carson Beckett and some others) well enough. Richie's death was an illusion that everyone saw the way it happened, and they only discovered the truth years later, Charles and Erik did break up, but got together again (not fifty years later, thank you very much), Blair still declared himself a fraud, but Jim's father sued everything and everyone to have that fixed. I mean to say, I love fixes that actually deal with the feelings the canon evoked, rather than ignore them completely by pretending it never happened.

In some fandom (such as X-Men) I can only read fix-its and AUs. Others make me desperate for a fix-it that never happens (late last year/early this year I actually write a Babylon5 OT3 fix-it, because no one else would, and I wish I could do that more often). In any case, pretty much any fandom need a good fix-it from time to time.

Profile

ilien: rainbow (Default)
ilien

February 2020

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
91011 12131415
16171819202122
23242526272829

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 11:02 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios